Chai lattes are so incredibly yummy, however, to purchase one at your local coffee shop will cost you more than just a pretty penny. You can expect to pay anywhere from $6-8 for a cup and to top it off, they’re usually loaded with artificial sweeteners. Making them in the comfort of your own home is much more cost-effective, healthier, and believe or not; tastier too! The best part is that you have complete control over the quality and quantity of ingredients you wish to use.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 5 cardamom buds (whole not ground)
- 8-10 whole cloves (whole not ground)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Black tea (I used a vanilla spice, but any kind will do) 1 teaspoon or 1 tea bag.
- 1 teaspoon of local honey or more, depending on your taste buds.
- Crack a very small of amount of black pepper for an extra spice kick (optional)
1) Place cinnamon powder and loose tea into a tea bag, make sure to tie the tea bag into a knot before tossing into the pot. This way the tea leaves won’t fall out. If you’re using a prepacked tea bag then just toss the bag into the pot and toss in the lose cinnamon powder.
2) Peel and chop fresh ginger into tiny chunks
3) Place all ingredients in the pot (except for honey!) and bring to a simmer. Use a whisk to froth it up. Keep stirring for approx 3 minutes.
4) After 3 minutes of whisking stir in the honey. Give it a taste test and adjust honey, ginger or spices to your liking. Once everything is ready you can either poor everything into a cup or strain out the ginger and spices. I personally enjoy keeping the ginger and spices in. The longer they sit the more flavor you get.
BONUS: Make your latte a maca chai. Mix in 1 teaspoon of maca powder for extra health benefits. Maca adds a creamy and sweet taste so it blends perfectly together. (mix in during step 3)
Maca health benefits: Aside from containing loads of nutrients and antioxidants, maca is an immune boosting and complete body balancing supplement known as an adaptogen. Maca is fabulous for increasing energy, endurance, and stamina. As well as muscle strength, libido, and acts as an aphrodisiac. Regulates hormonal processes, increases circulation and supports emotional health.